Monday, September 11, 2017

Does This Count? Webster 3, Parkway West 1 (Sort of)

   I'm guessing, not really.
   Parkway West said they didn't have a "real" JV team and could we play a few innings after the varsity contest.  We took half our JV and filled in the rest with varsity players who needed some time or time in their non-traditional positions. Now that I think about it, I'm guessing what they really didn't have was a JV pitcher, except for one playing full-time in another spot on the varsity.
   Apparently by "a few" innings West meant 3, no matter how quickly they went by. We had enough time and light for another inning (and might have had more had they not taken IF warmup between games?!?), but it was 3 and out. I think they were re-thinking their position as we were leading 3-1 at the end of the third, but they lined up and we kind of had to do the same.
   Just to vent a little, I have no problem with the freshman pitcher throwing, despite the fact she played a full game for the varsity. But I am questioning why they felt the need to have her hit, as well, given that she had 3 extra-base hits, including a home run about 15 feet above the fence on the foul pole (which really ought to be called the "fair pole," but I digress), especially with two other players on their sub-list. 
   But Karma sometimes has a delightful way of making her presence known as Noel Spatola took a great route going back on the rope the Longhorn player hit to make a spectacular catch. It was fun (for me, at least) to get briefly reunited with AP, JoJo, Claire and Elise who joined with Carissa, Kelly, Hannah, Taylor, Jessica and Nicola to frustrate the home club. Some victories, even imaginary ones, are more enjoyable than others.
   Lindbergh tomorrow, and we'll give the girls who practiced today first crack in the lineup tomorrow. I always look forward to visiting Lindbergh. First, I like their JV coach. Second, I've spent the last two springs there as a maternity leave sub (and turned down a gig this fall). Third, the principal and social studies department head are former students (and my yearbook editors at Hancock) and I expect I'll get to visit with them before the game.



No comments:

Post a Comment