Friday, October 4, 2013

Clinic Opportunity & End of Season Notes

As we head into our final weekend and what I consider a "Showcase" Tournament, where the girls get one last chance to demonstrate their skills, I wanted to make you aware of an opportunity. I'll give out the forms (with most of this post on the back) at this afternoon's practice, but the form is also available through the link highlighted in the next paragraph or you can the form below.


Because of our connection through Coach Rosner, we have been fortunate to develop an advantageous partnership with Fontbonne’s softball program. I wanted you to be aware of an opportunity for your daughter to participate in a clinic in a couple weeks. 
A few parents have also asked about summer opportunities. Last year a couple Dads put together a Webster team, the Mayhem, that played over at Affton and in some tournaments, as well. I don’t know of anyone doing that this year, but below are three websites connected to softball venues as close as Affton and as far as Chesterfield. It would be to your daughter’s advantage to play or gain experience after the season ends, because we know we have a very strong 8th grade class coming in.
Finally, when the season concludes, and we hope it’s not for at least a couple weeks, we’ll hold an end-of-season debriefing where players will turn in their uniforms, hold some meetings, and (the JV players) receive Coaches’ evaluations. Because I have more time this year, my plan is for a more comprehensive player evaluation. It will include her season statistics (from both years if she is a sophomore) and a summary of her final evaluation. Right now I’m thinking it will rank each girl as 1, 2, or 3 (Top Third, Middle Third, Bottom Third) in various offensive and defensive categories. This will not be just a piece of paper, but will be in conjunction with an individual meeting with either Coach Poe or myself to explain the ratings.
I’m also going to be (gently) candid about her long-term future. I need your help in this because players are often sensitive, interpreting criticism and suggestions for improvement as being more negative than I intend.  The LAST thing I want is to discourage a player, and candor can have that effect, because girls tend to be less delusional than guys, all of whom secretly believe he can play in the majors. Every player will have areas where she can improve; if and when she starts playing at the varsity level she will STILL have areas for improvement. For the freshmen, especially, please understand that I have been surprised by players’ progress between seasons.
Two sophomores, in particular, from this year’s squad did not exactly receive glowing appraisals and I now consider them serious competitors for not only varsity positions next year but significant playing time. That’s how much they improved from last October ‘til now.  Both would have had several categories rated as a “3.” I’m delighted they have proved me wrong. I also love to use Beth Sitterly as an example. Beth played two years of JV softball and was not even a consistent starter her freshman year. She ended up with All Conference honors her senior year and is now a member of Hope College’s squad.
I have enjoyed this team as much as I’ve enjoyed any of the 39 I have coached. I could not have asked for a more coachable, responsive group and I’m looking forward to working with those who want to come back next season.
Websites for Teams and Leagues looking for players:



No comments:

Post a Comment