Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Saving the Worst for Last: Cor Jesu 10, Webster 7

Apologies for the delay. We were paid an unexpected visit by the WG Fire Dept. last night, thanks to a gas burner cap that was not properly seated on our stove, resulting in a Carbon Monoxide alert and alarms all over the place, both CO and security, phone calls, sirens. Kind of an appropriate end to the day, because….
We played perhaps our worst game of the year yesterday. We have beaten Cor Jesu, but have also struggled against them, as we did yesterday. Our usually steady defense got away from us (thanks in no small part to playing on Field 2 at AAA, which does not lend itself to good softball, and, to be fair [man, I hate that] also impacted the Chargers defense, as well). Mental breaks were plentiful, including in the third base coaching box, and ragged base running didn’t help. And, for whatever reason, we did not swing the bat as well as we have against better pitching and left the bases loaded in both the sixth and seventh.
I’m not sorry we added this game, because it was only our twentieth of the season and it was exciting and entertaining. Not good, but exciting and entertaining. Batting last was going to be an advantage, as it usually is when we face CJ.
Happily, I was able to get all but one of our 16 players into the action (Sorry, Dazsa) for our last contest and despite having to come from behind, our Statesmen kept up the 3 Es, effort, enthusiasm and energy to the last pitch. I’ll do a more thorough season wrap in the next couple days, complete with final statistics. Suffice to say, had you asked me if I would take 16-4 with a side of trophy back in August, pretty sure I would have taken it.
I was glad all the girls were able to join their teammates at (shop small, shop local) Serendipity for a season-ending celebration. No game pix this time (dead camera battery) so only celebration ones.



This team grew as players and as a team, individually and collectively. I am proud of this great group of young women who represented their school, parents, community and themselves with class all season long. Thanks to the sophomore leadership and freshman followership.



With some encouragement from Coach Kate and a fair amount of trepidation, this (maybe) needs some explanation. Because we're old and can't reach our toes with ease (and because it feels good) my wife and I go (to a former Hancock Tiger) for regular pedicures. My former shortstop has been following our team's success and, because this represents both my personal best at the helm of a Webster team and my highest season win total (tie, 1994), I said I was looking for my own personal celebration demonstration. This is the color she picked, and I thought, why not? Orange & Black, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment